Crochet braids have definitely come a long way since their emerging popularity in the 90's. I wanted to share my take on the very popular and trending hairstyle "Crochet Braids with Marley Hair" that is an ideal protective hairstyle for the Fall. Enjoy!
You Will Need:
1. Shampoo and Conditioner (I used Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle)
2. Moisturizer (I used Naturalsis72 hair styling butter)
3. Denman brush
4. Latch Hook
5. Hair cutting shears
6. Perm Rods
7. 3.5 packs of Femi Marley Braiding hair
What I did:
1. Wash and condition hair.
2. Blow out hair to get it dry
3. Braid into sections.
4. Cut the Marley hair in half before applying.
5. Use the latch hook and weave one strand of Marley hair under the braid
6. Loop it through twice.
7. Tug to secure to the braid. Repeat this for your entire head.
How I Set the Rods:
1. Take a section of the Marley hair and apply moisturizer
2. Using the Denman brush, detangle the hair and brush it out
3. Twist the hair around the perm rod and pin
TIP: To get a natural curl pattern, I dip each section in boiling water. Hold it for 15 seconds, take it out, and lightly towel dry.
Sleep on your rod set with a satin bonnet. Next day, carefully unravel each section. Separate the curls once to give it more fullness. Use your shears to cut any ends that need it. Be sure to sleep in your satin bonnet to protect your rod set!
This article was originally published in 2014 and has been updated for grammar and clarity.
What say you? Will you give it a try?!