As naturals with curls, coils and kinks wash day can sometimes feel like a battle. A war is waged in the bathrooms of many naturals between them and their hair. Every curly should know that to win this fight she needs to come prepared with a good conditioner, leave-in or moisturizer with slip that will help her get out even the most stubborn of tangles.
But what can really help to tip the scales is one seemingly magical ingredient that gives products their slip: Behentrimonium Methosulfate (BTMS).
ConditionersDuring the washing process is when most naturals detangle their hair which is why it is so important that the conditioner used can actually get the job done. Incorporating a conditioner with BTMS in it could help to drastically reduce the time you spend in the shower detangling and turning into a prune under the stream of the water. The best of the best conditioners that have both gotten the stamp of approval from many curlies on YouTube, blogs and forums are;
Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Moisturizing Conditioner comes in at a close 3rd and I can personally vouch for it.
Leave-In conditioner/ MoisturiserWhen it comes to styling the hair a good leave-in or moisturiser is key.
A leave-in conditioner or moisturiser that has slip can easily be distributed throughout the hair and provide enough moisture to prevent frizz. They can also be the barrier between your hair and stylers that can be drying like gels and mousses. Lastly, easy distribution means you’ll have to use less which will prevent product build up.
Two products that come highly reviewed are:
Deep Conditioner (DC)When a deep conditoner has slip a little really goes a long way which means you save product and therefore your money.
Also if you struggle to distribute your DC you may tug and pull on your hair which can cause damage defeating the whole point.
Two deep conditioners which stand out from the rest because of their slip are:
DIY SlipIf you’re a kitchen curly and enjoy whipping up your own products then you might want to try to create your own slip from marshmallow root. Marshmallow root is well known for its detangling abilities because when prepared correctly it produces a mucus.
- 1 & 1/4 cup distilled water
- 1/4 cup dried marshmallow root
- 1/2 tablespoon of your favorite oil
- Grapefruit seed extract or any essential oils
- Place the marshmallow root and water in a pot and allow the mixture to gently simmer for 15 to 30 minutes on low heat stirring periodically. The mixture should begin to thicken and form a gel. The longer it heats the thicker it will be.
- When your mixture has reached the consistency of liquefied gel turn off the heat and allow it to cool. Remember you do not want to overcook the gel and risk burning it or making it too thick to strain.
- To strain it, place a knee high panty hose over a cup and pour the mixture over the pantyhose. Remove the pantyhose from the cup and squeeze it in a downward motion to strain the gel and separate it from the dried marshmallow root.
- Add the oil and the grapefruit seed extract to the marshmallow root gel and stir.
This gel can be added to your products to give them extra slip. However do not add the gel directly into your product bottles or jars. Instead mix small single use batches of the product and the gel in a separate bowl as the gel will not last outside of the fridge.
Alternatively, you could put the gel in a spray bottle and add water to it to make a slippery detangler.
Please note that this mixture must be stored in an airtight container in the fridge and will last for about 3 weeks.