There are lots of benefits to making your own treatments with raw ingredients. Often times it’s cheaper than pre-packaged products and you have complete control of what goes in it. Conditioning treatments are perhaps the easiest to make because there are so many possibilities and combinations of household ingredients to use.
This recipe works as a hydrating, protecting, cleansing co-wash or deep conditioner, and you can substitute oils for different ones you prefer or already have available.
- Avocado contains more than 25 essential vitamins and nutrients that are great for hair, skin and a healthy diet. For hair, avocado restores natural luster, helps prevent breakage and supports healthy hair growth.
- Eggs are rich in fats and protein that help make follicles stronger to promote healthy growth. The yolk provides moisture and the whites help remove build-up making eggs a great balancing ingredient.
- Honey is a humectant that pulls water out of the air giving you natural moisture. It also adds shine and promotes healthy growth.
- Coconut oil has lots of benefits as a moisturizer and treatment. It can be used to restore moisture and natural shine to heat damaged hair and prevent or lessen dandruff. It also coats and conditions the hair acting as a sealant and protectant from the elements.
- Jojoba oil is the only oil whose molecular structure is like the oil our scalps produce. This makes it perfect for restoration of moisture of the scalp and strands as it will more easily absorb and hydrate without tampering with your scalp’s natural balance. It is also known to add volume to strands and prevent breakage.
- Argan oil is said to be excellent for hydrating, repairing, conditioning hair, scalp and skin. It is also more resistant to oxidation than other types of oil (meaning it won’t lose its nutrients as quickly once exposed). Argan oil also has a low molecular weight allowing it to instantly penetrate into the hair shaft without weighing hair down.
- Apple cider vinegar is known to stimulate healthy hair growth, reduce frizz, prevent split ends, combat itchy or dry scalp, act as a detangler as it smoothes and seals the cuticle, and it can be used as a gentle scalp cleanser…basically, it does some of everything!
Gather your ingredients:
- avocado, 1
- egg, 1 large
- honey, 1 tbsp
- virgin (unrefined) coconut oil, 2 tbsp
- jojoba oil, 2 tbsp
- Argan oil, 1 tbsp
- apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup
- Combine and blend ingredients until mixture is smooth.
- Rinse your hair in barely warm water for two minutes.
- Pour the conditioner on your hair from roots to ends, gently massaging it in for even distribution.
- Cover with a plastic cap and sit under a hooded dryer for 7-10 minutes, or sit up to 15 minutes without a dryer.
- Rinse conditioner thoroughly with cool water for about two minutes.
- If you are co-washing, follow-up with your favorite leave-in and style as usual, or if you are deep conditioning, follow with your favorite shampoo and conditioner with leave-in, then style as usual.
- Organix Macadamia Oil Shampoo
- Organix Coconut Milk Conditioner
- Mixed Chicks Leave-In Conditioner
- Creme of Nature Perfect 7 Leave-In
- ORS Olive Oil Glosser
Because this conditioner is packed with so many powerful ingredients, you should only need to use it once, no more than twice, per month.