By Cipriana of Urbanbushbabes.com
When it comes to natural hair some think long flowing Rapunzel like locks, reaching to the floor or in my case to the sky is the ultimate advantage, but to be honest short hair has more advantages than you think, and if it were not for my alien sized head I too may have considered a shorter style in the past, but the Lord blessed me with all this hair for a reason.
Short hair has been a style rocked by all, whether by choice or a transition to longer lengths. Here are 7 reasons why short hair rules.
1. Stronger EndsNew growth equals stronger hair simply because it has not been around long enough to be exposed to the elements, manipulation and wear and tear that come naturally as the hair ages. Basically shorter hair is stronger, period. As long as you are not causing damage to your hair by heat, over manipulation and chemicals, your ends are the strongest of them all!
2. More Styling ManipulationThe advantages of having shorter hair not only means less manipulation (if you can keep your hands out of your hair in those idle moments, lol) but also being able to withstand a little more manipulation than longer lengths. As previously mentioned new growth is stronger and can handle a little more manipulation than longer hair, which is why there are women (like Amber Rose) who rock short haircuts and dye their hair every color under the sun but still have healthy hair. The constant cutting of your ends to achieve a shorter look eliminates damage that occurred while using a chemical such as dye.
3. Water is Your Best FriendWe all know water is your best friend regardless of length but if you are a shorty, you really have the comfort of enjoying Mother Nature’s greatest gift without the process of protective styles or sectioning to reduce tangling, not to mention air-drying short hair is a dream!
4. Protective Styling WHAT?The length of short hair is automatically a protective style within itself since your ends will not be in friction with any clothing articles you may be wearing. No matter what your hair type texture, if hair is above shoulder length you have more freedom to wear your hair out without risking damage from friction.
5. Less TimeThe hands of time are on your side! With less hair you save time on everything from detangling, washing to styling.
6. Easier DetanglingThe longer/older your strands are, the more susceptible they are to feathering; when your ends are thinner and finer than your roots due to wear over time. Feathering leads to tangling, single strand knots and split ends.
7. Product UsageMore money more problems…Less hair less products! Rockin short styles obviously means less product usage, saving you money.
Ladies, if you’re currently rocking short hair, what do you love about it?